The principals of Virginia Solar have been directly and actively involved in the development of more than 3000 MW of renewable energy projects in North America through various previous and current ventures: More than $3.2 Billion in project financing was raised by Virginia Solar’s Principals for these projects over the last 17 years. In addition, the principals of Virginia Solar have wide experience in land management and real estate development on properties throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia. Please find in the following paragraphs more detail about the track record of the principals of Virginia Solar.
Theo De Wolff
Co-Founder & Principal - Commercial
- de Wolff co-founded Atlantic Renewable Energy Corporation (“AREC”) in 1998. Mr. de Wolff was the CEO of AREC and under his leadership AREC initiated, developed and built 11 wind projects with a combined nameplate capacity of 646 MW in New York, Pennsylvania and West Virginia. In early 2005 Mr. de Wolff (and his business partner) sold AREC to Scottish Power.
- de Wolff was also involved in the founding and leadership of other wind energy ventures that successfully developed more than 1500 MW of operating wind projects in Illinois, Iowa and Texas. During his tenure at these wind companies Mr. de Wolff also spearheaded and structured innovative off-take and financing arrangements with Berkshire Hathaway Energy, Facebook, Google and IKEA.
- In 2014 Mr. de Wolff co-founded Adger Solar LLC, a solar development company focused on South Carolina. Adger has currently under development 8 solar projects with a combined nameplate capacity of 545 MW. Adger’s 75 MWAC Jasper and 10 MWAC Ridgeland projects are under construction with projected CODs in 2017.
- In 2002 and 2014 the American Wind Energy Association recognized Mr. de Wolff’s accomplishments in the wind industry by providing him with the “Outstanding Commercial Achievement Award” for that specific calendar year.
- In 2010 the Richmond Venture Forum recognized Mr. de Wolff among “The top 25 of the last 25” (Richmond’s most successful entrepreneurs during the period 1985-2010).
Co-Founder & Principal - Development
Since 2000 Mr. Meares has been active in the renewable energy industry in various capacities, including: project management at EPC contractors (Signal Energy); Loan originator and officer at HSH Nordbank; Project development at Amonix; and Independent consultant for several large investors in solar projects
- Over the last 15 years Mr. Meares has actively involved in the development, due diligence process, financing and construction of more than 800 MW of operating solar projects
- Meares currently serves on the Board of Directors of SEIA (Solar Energy Industries Association).
- Matthew holds an MBA from Duke University’s Fuqua School of Business and a BS in Mechanical Engineering and a BA in French Language and Literature from North Carolina State University.
Co-Founder & Principal - Land Acquisition & Management
R. Lee Downing, Virginia Solar’s land manager, who has more than 35 years experience in surveying, farming, land and timber management in Virginia. Lee holds a BS in Business Management from Virginia Tech.